Saturday, May 25, 2013

Thoughts on generosity

So, this past week my church was focusing on the theme of generosity.  I considered this almost ironic, as I feel I have been on the receiving end of generosity way more so over this past week than the giving one.  I apologize if this post gets a little uncomfortable for you, but I would feel remiss if I do not share these thoughts with you.

One of the things we discussed in small group was how it is often easier to be generous than accept generosity.  Even though, if roles were reversed, we would definitely freely give.  Yet, I admit I would be the first person to try to work through things on my own rather than accept the generosity of others.  My parents raised me to be independent and it is something that I never quite associated with driving a car.  But now, even going to the grocery store requires the generosity of others if I plan on coming home with more than a couple bags of groceries. I was reluctant to take up the offers of my generous co-worker who has taken me to and from work almost every day this week. But through them and others, my life has been made easier and for that I am extremely thankful! 

We live in amazing communities, surrounded by people who each live lives almost on an individual or small family level .  It seems to be that in the worst of times, such as the bombings in Boston or the tornadoes in Oklahoma, communities have come together to move through the disaster.  But what if we were to live on that level daily without facing such a disaster?  It doesn't take much, just listening a little more to the needs of those who are in our lives.  And that can be anyone from your best friends to the people you say "Hi" to when you walk your dog.  Sometimes, all people need is just someone to listen to them.    

Being generous doesn't take a huge act.  It is often the small stuff, the stuff that doesn't make a difference to us, which can mean so much to someone else.  Please, take it from someone who knows!  The rides I am sure do not mean much to my friends, but they mean the world to me.  They are allowing me to live a fuller life! What small generous thing could you do for someone else today?          

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts this week, couldn't agree more ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We were taught to be generous to others while remaining independent. Here is a thought for you: Because we find it so hard to accept generosity from others, does that make it harder for us to accept God's grace, love and forgiveness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent question!! What follows is just my opinion. I think that when we don't accept generosity from others, we are often also not accepting God's grace. The other thing that I think happens is we are denying others the ability to help someone else and for grace to work in them through the act of generosity.

    Also, I think if we make a habit of acting independently and not accepting generosity, then we can find ourselves in a place where we think that we do not need to accept God’s love, grace and generosity. If we look at where we possibly could end up, I think we would accept the generosity of others more readily.

    ReplyDelete