Thursday, May 30, 2013

Changing times

No matter what is going on in your life, it always feels as if something is changing, right?  Whether it be a move, new relationship or career, something is consistantly changing! And why would that be any different with the LADOT system in Los Angeles?  They are changing out the paper tickets for pre-loaded cards, so I see definitely see it as a move in the right direction!  Although, I have to say it's kind of funny, only three short weeks after I start taking the LADOT, the whole system changes.    

But, they are totally on top of things!  Yesterday, when I went to go online to look at getting bus tickets or pass for next month, the announcments were all over their website.  Even more impressive, when I got off the first bus yesterday afternoon at the Park & Ride, there were personnel there to let us know that the system was changing and handing out pamphlets explaining the changes and what to expect.  I ended up sitting in the very back of the first bus, so I was sheepishly asking the guy to repeat what he had just finished saying when I fianlly got off the bus.

So, when he was finished speaking, I went across the street and sat down for awhile.  About the time that the next bus was supposed to come, I got up and walked around to the bus stop.  After a few minutes, the guy who I asked to repeat himself walked over.  He asked me again if I had heard about the changes.  I said "Yes, you let me know about the changes when I got off the other bus".  He thought about it for a second, and asked about the two different buses I took.  He then proceeded to walk through different scenarios with me on what would be the easiest/cheapest approach.  Since I have a co-worker who is extremely generous with providing me with rides to work, and the buses I take are in two different zones (of cost & mileage), this was no easy task. 

We had almost finished the discussion when the second bus pulled up.  The doors opened, and he told the bus driver, " You had better treat her well, she is going a long way!".  I laughed as did the bus driver, and said "He always treats me well!".  I do have to say as someone who doesn't consistantly ride the bus, I felt like they totally went out of the way to make sure I had all the information at hand needed to make the best decision for myself through this change.

 

1 comment: