Monday, May 27, 2013

Downtown Trip

So on Friday, I did something I have been meaning to do for the last couple years.  One of my friends invited me to go to a musical downtown, and we decided to ride the subway down.  I had been talking for the past couple years about trying the subway as a form of transportation to get to a club or show downtown, but have never tried.

My friend picked me up and we headed over to the subway station.  In Los Angeles, since the majority of subway stops are underground, you feel a huge rush of wind before the train comes.  While my friend and I were walking down, we began to see people running down the stairs.  By the time we got to the turn styles, we could feel the rush of wind.  We ran down the second set of stairs, I ran on the train, and turn around expecting my friend to be right behind me.  But my friend had almost given up on catching the train.  She ran down the stairs and got in right before the doors closed.  To me, it was one of those times where your life felt surreal or you were in a movie.

The train was pretty full so we stood through the first couple of stops.  But we talked the whole way and the time flew by.  We grabbed a seat about halfway through the ride.  Once we got downtown, we followed my friend's directions to get to the theater.  I haven't been downtown that much, but after a few streets, I began to realize we were heading in the wrong direction.  We hadn't realized there were two different exits to the subway station, and we had come out of the wrong one for the directions. We turned around and found the theater quickly.

The musical we went to see was "The Scottsboro Boys".  It's a musical told in a minstrel fashion about nine African American youths wrongfully convicted of a crime they didn't commit in Alabama during the 1930's.  It was a part of our history that I had never heard before, and their story is extremely powerful and convicting.  I would suggest looking into their story if you haven't heard of it before!  I was so thankful that my friend had invited me to go. 

When the show was over, we walked back to the subway station (which was only a couple of blocks from the theater).  We got down to the subway platform, we only had to wait a minute or two before the subway arrived.  The trip home seemed to fly by.  The whole experience was so easy and cheap (only $3 for each of us roundtrip) that I couldn't believe I had never tried it before!  It will definitely be a repeat experience for another show!     

No comments:

Post a Comment