Friday, May 17, 2013

The Start of the Adventure

It's been a number of years since the last time I blogged, so please forgive any format errors and such!

I recently had to switch some medications, and one of the precautions the doctor strongly suggested I take was to not drive during this medication switch.  With living in Los Angeles, a city where everyone drives and the drive to work being over 20 miles, my first thought was to despair.  But then through a study we were doing at church, I came to the realization that my despair would negatively impact the ones I love.  So, I am determined to look at this as a challenge and an opportunity to step outside my comfort zone of using my car to get everywhere.

It's been almost a week so far (I know I am behind in starting this blog).  It's been pretty good so far.  I am blessed by having a gracious co-worker who is willing to change her schedule to take me to and from work.  And when she has plans, I am also blessed by the fact that the Los Angeles public transportation works very well for me.  With knowing I would be having a period of not driving, I did a bit of research and got a bus pass before I switched the medications. Even though my place and my work are more than twenty miles apart, I am able to catch just two commuter express buses to get to work.  The other amazing thing is I can walk about a mile and get to the subway system which will get me to church.  I also know I am extremely fortunate to have friends who are willing to make sacrifices and take me to the other places I can't walk to.

I plan to use this blog to express thoughts and experiences on my adventure in not driving for a period of time.  I thank you for reading and following me on this journey. 

2 comments:

  1. so wonderful your co-worker was willing to help! hoping things go well with the Rx switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck on your journey! Looking forward to your next post.
    MQ says just don't get lost :-)

    ReplyDelete